What is it like to work in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland?

about 5 years ago
CLOSED: This map consultation has concluded

We're keen to hear about your experiences. Do you own a business? Do you work in the Hinterland? Is it easy to get a job? Is it easy to get to work for your business?

• Rainey over 7 years ago
    It's wonderful to be able to go to work, and then to come home to the peace and serenity of the hinterland. It's even better now that I work from home - to make money without having to leave the trees and the birdsong.While the road I have to travel to get to town for groceries is substandard, it has been well-maintained.However, with a Mega Quarry looming, the peace and quiet will be a thing of the past, the road will be a nightmare, and my clients will not want to visit, so I will lose many of my customers.The fact that I have a fast internet connection and much of my work can be done via the internet is the only thing that will save my business.
  • IanBates over 7 years ago
    We have operated a home based business for over 20 years, as well as working off site. We use the internet extensively as well as having clients visit our home. Most young families in the area seem to all have jobs, with an increasing number involved in the smart industries involving the internet, education, training and manufacturing. Travel to nearby workplaces takes no longer than most suburban commuters travel every day. Personally, as a workplace, I would never consider an alternative to home in the hinterland.
  • Anitap over 7 years ago
    We moved to Kin Kin in the green and serene Noosa Hinterland from London and didn't have a clue what business we would pursue but my husband and I found work very easily we started a swim school in our backyard and did that for 4 years teaching the entire Kin Kin State School (60 children) and another 70 children from Kin Kin, Cooran, Pomona and Boreen Point. We now have our own media company Itchy Feet Media which has been very successful. I travel around the Sunshine Coast filming Social videos for small businesses. We have found work very easily. We love our home based office that my husband and I run together as well as being home for our 4 children aged 9, 6, 5, 4. A lot of locals are employed by Living Valley Springs and High Spirits who employ about 85 locals. If a MEGA quarry started in our neighbourhood that will all change because we are all here for the peace and quiet and to enjoy the lush environment not to deal with quarry noise and air pollution.
  • weisarts over 7 years ago
    I make art metalwork, do some massage and spiritual healing work at home. Sometimes I'd like more exciting metal projects and when that happens I usually make something for my garden. My partner, Janka, provides fabulous travel services to a loyal and growing clientele. She runs the office from home, saving five hours commuting to Brisbane daily. The clients love her availability and exceptional service which has only improved since she squeezed into my small office and her staff all took their offices home. Everyone's better off and happier. Janka also does spiritual healing. We both have lots of customers who enjoy the outing to come to Kin Kin for some healing care, some travel service, to commission their special metalwork or just soak up the calming contentment of the hinterlife.
    Hide reply (1)
    • CoorooraChanger over 7 years ago
      The hinterland is an ideal location for home-based industries, and this should be encouraged in any further consideration of regs relating to the rural parts of the SCRC. In most cases, where the business involves one or two people, there is very little traffic generated by the business. There usually is very little or no noise. More attention should be given to flexible zoning on acreage blocks where a slightly more substantial business is conducted (a small bottling plant for honey production, for instance, or the above example of metal artwork) or a commercial kitchen set apart from the house. On a small scale, these are unobtrusive. They allow for work-life balance and they add to the rich tapestry of our countryside. They also lend themselves to a 'drive and explore' tourism experience, where people stop at these places on a recognised tour of the hinterland; as opposed to driving through beautiful green countryside where the only activity is cows grazing. Roadside stalls selling fruit and veg via the 'honesty box' should never disappear from our countryside. At key locations, near villages, small light industry 'pods' (note: not an industrial estate) should be developed (4-5 businesses) for people who want to establish a business in a rural area, but who live on a small allotment in town and who can walk to their work. Where possible, the pods should contain complementary businesses. For example, one unit in the pod could be a small pottery, another a nursery that specialises in plants in pots from next door. A paper-making business (the old fashioned way) and a calligraphy shop.
  • Shaun over 7 years ago
    I work in Brisbane half the time. We use the rail network and the highway to get easy access between the city and Cooran. There are more work opportunities elsewhere. A lot of people work away now from Cooran compared to a few years ago.The 2 trains are day are great to get to Brisbane.
    Hide reply (1)
    • CoorooraChanger over 7 years ago
      The addition of an extra daytime train to Gympie is welcomed, but, hopefully, a further train can be added in future Gympie-Brisbane-Gympie, leaving Gympie about 9am, returning mid-afternoon. This would widen rail transport options. Also, the route of the North Coast Railway line needs to be reassessed and settled so that permanent railway stations can be built at Cooran and Pomona. Both stations have platforms constricted of scaffolding. It won't last forever.
  • Carol over 7 years ago
    We operate a retail store in the hinterland and have seen the town have its highs and lows over the years with closures of mills, hospitals and brickworks. Now we have a large number of workers leaving for work in the mining industry. These include builders,electricians and laboures most of them still base themselves here and their families are here as part of the community but some have relocated.
  • Steve S over 7 years ago
    Many people are through necessity forced to drive from Maleny plateau down to the coast or even Brisbane for work. Others make the drive up from the coast to Maleny daily to get to their workplace. Largely this is due to personal choice of where they live and work. But there needs to be more work created in the Maleny area. Many rural jobs could be created if better utilisation of productive farm land was encouraged.
  • Sammy over 7 years ago
    This is still a wonderful place to live and work. I am fortunate in that I work from home - but I still have to go to town for provisions!The traffic in Maple St has to be seen to be believed.Parking is at a premium and little thought seems to have gone into the impact of hugely increased vehicular traffic.It's a mess.
  • Minda over 7 years ago
    Wonderful - not only do I miss the daily traffic grind faced by others less fortunate but my work-related carbon footprint remains very small.Any opportunities to increase opportunities for Hinterland residents to work on the Range should be supported.
  • Denish over 7 years ago
    I chose to semi retire to the hinterland, with 8 hectares it is imposible to make a living, but I try to have it as productive as possible with cattle, while at the same time support Land for wildlife and other sustainable practices.Too small to employ people, but at least reduce our impact on the country, both physicaly and financially, being self funded, grow vegies, solar grid connect and solar water heating.
  • firefly over 7 years ago
    I operate a home based business in the Hinterland at Cooroy and I think there are lots of opportunities but as with any small business it takes hard work and commitment to be successful. Getting involved in the local community is one of the best things I've ever done - it has provided additional work for my business but most importantly it has also given me a real connection to the town. I think to be successful in small business you need to think outside the square and that is no different in the Hinterland - developing strong relationships with other businesses, being involved in your community, having a unique product and reinventing your business with changing conditions are all needed.