2021 Sunshine Coast Get Ready Schools Competition
Council is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of residents and visitors to the region through working with all stakeholders involved in community safety. Council recognises building a region resilient to disasters is a shared responsibility between all levels of government, business community, non-government sector, our neighbourhoods and the individual.
Safety education starts with our youngest community members. As part of the Sunshine Coast Get Ready Schools program council invites primary students (Prep to 6) to help tell our local communities how to best to prepare for disasters. This gives them the chance to win great prizes. Council's Sunshine Coast Get Ready Schools program is a State and National award winning campaign.
To enter the competition, submit a 30 second video that encourages our community to have a disaster “WHAT-IF PLAN”.
Entries and voting for the 2021 competition is now CLOSED.
St Joseph Primary School Nambour year 5 students , Heidi Brumwell, Jordan Gormley, Zac Zeremis, Shyla Lamont, and Archie Tollner with Grade 5 teachers, emergency services and Mayor Mark Jameison at the launch of the 2020 winners commercial.
As part of its Get Ready Queensland program, council invites primary students (P-6) to help educate our local communities how to best prepare and plan for disasters and have the chance to win great prizes.
To enter the competition, submit a 30 second video (maximum 200MB) using your smartphone or device, that encourages our community to be prepared and have a disaster “WHAT-IF PLAN”.
Your video must have a connection to the Sunshine Coast region.
Entrants must upload and submit with their video entry, a completed consent form with parental or guardian consent and their school’s permission to enter the competition. Entrants must provide/upload with their video:
- a description (up to 250 words), describing the intent of the video, how you (the students) developed the message, and who you engaged with during the development of the video
- a completed consent form with parental (or guardian), and school consent to enter the competition.
Once you have entered, your video will appear in the 2021 Sunshine Coast Get Ready Schools Competition video library. (subject to review)
Competition prizes include:
- media marketing package: The winning team and their school will work with the Sunshine Coast Council behind the scenes and in front of the camera to deliver council's 2021 Get Ready Queensland Week television, radio, and social media campaign (winning school and student entry)
- family Evacuation Kits (winning student entry)
- emergency Kits (finalist student entrants)
- various Get Ready merchandise (finalist student entrants)
- co-branded school hats (winner and runner up school).
Team Entry is open to students in grades P to 6 from any school located within the Sunshine Coast Local Government Area. A team may consist of one student but must be no more than five students. Please note, team entrants must have the consent of their school and parent or guardian to enter.
Entrants must upload and submit with their video entry, a completed consent form with parental or guardian consent and their school’s permission to enter the competition.
The “Sunshine Coast Get Ready” video entries will be shortlisted and voted on by a panel of Emergency Services experts and our community. Community will have the opportunity to vote for their winning entry.
View the Sunshine Coast Get Ready Schools Competition Terms and Conditions
For more information contact Sunshine Coast Council’s Disaster Management team on (07) 5475 7272 or email SCC.DisasterManagement@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au.
This project is supported by the State of Queensland’s ‘Get Ready Queensland’ program.