Council is proposing an amendment to the Maroochydore City Centre Priority Development Area (PDA) Development Scheme.
The purpose of the proposed development scheme amendment is to give effect to a revised master plan for the PDA.
The proposed amendment will be subject to public notification from Monday, 11 September until 4:30pm Monday, 23 October 2023.
Why is Council amending the Development Scheme?
In November 2020, Council entered into a development agreement with SunCentral Maroochydore Pty Ltd and Walker Corporation (Walker) for the development of the majority of the Council-owned land in the Maroochydore City Centre PDA. The agreement provides for Walker to undertake a review of the master plan to improve city-making objectives for the PDA and identify opportunities to accelerate investment. This review has now been completed. To give effect to the revised master plan, it is necessary to amend to the Maroochydore City Centre PDA Development Scheme.
- Combining the waterway and parkland elements to create a central park and lake at the heart of the city centre
- Moving the proposed Exhibition and Convention Centre to be closer to the transit centre
- Re-locating the amphitheatre to the northern end of the central park.
The proposed amendment also addresses operational matters in relation to the aspects described above and improves the clarity and efficacy of the development scheme.
About the amendment
Council has prepared the proposed Maroochydore City Centre Development Scheme Amendment (No.3) to give effect to a series of significant changes to the Maroochydore City Centre master plan, including:
- Replacing the structural elements plan with a new plan that illustrates the consolidation of the parkland and waterway areas and new master plan layout
- Amending the number and location of the precincts to align with the new masterplan layout
- Relocating the Precinct 2 – Community and Convention Precinct functions so the convention centre and hotel are adjacent to the transit station, the public amphitheatre is a focus of the central parkland and providing for community and residential uses east of the Corso
- Relocating the land for a community facility from the Civic Park in Precinct 1 to the land for community and residential purposes to the east of the Corso in Precinct 4
- Adjusting the PDA maximum development yields for the retail and commercial use categories by enabling 21,000m2 of retail gross floor area (GFA) to be converted to commercial GFA and adjusting the respective precinct GFA allowances accordingly, while ensuring the maximum non-residential development yield for the PDA is not exceeded
- Applying the Precinct 3 car parking rate for residential development for three or more bedroom dwellings to all precincts
- Reviewing the PDA-wide development criteria provisions to ensure they remain fit for purpose and promote the attainment of the PDA vision
- Undertaking a general review of the development scheme content and structure to ensure the efficacy of the instrument.
View the proposed Maroochydore City Centre PDA Development Scheme Amendment (No. 3)
For further information about the proposed amendment, please refer to the information sheets below or in the document library at the bottom of the page.
- Building Heights
- Flooding and Stormwater
- Making a Submission
- Car Parking
- Open Space Waterways and Parklands
A printed copy of the proposed amendment can be viewed at Council’s Customer Service Counters in City Hall at Maroochydore (54 First Avenue) and Council’s administration buildings in Nambour (on the corner of Currie and Bury Streets) and Caloundra (77 Bulcock Street).
You can view the proposed Maroochydore City Centre PDA Development Scheme Amendment (No. 3) here.
Visit our foyer display at City Hall, 54 First Avenue, Maroochydore. Council officers will be available to answer your questions between 12 noon and 2pm on Monday and Wednesdays during the notification period.
Pop-up information sessions
Thursday 21 September 2023 04:00 pm – 07:00 pm
Pop up session number 1
Ground Floor, Near Coles
Saturday 7 October 2023 09:00 am – 12:00 pm
Pop up session number 2
Ground floor, near Myer and Cotton On Kids
Alternatively you may:
Email a submission to MaroochydoreCityCentre@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au
Post a submission to The Chief Executive Officer
Sunshine Coast Regional Council
Locked Bag 72
Sunshine Coast Mail Centre QLD 4560
A submission should:
- Be in writing
- Be received during the public notification period
- Include the submitter's name and contact details
- Include a description of any issues of concern and/or support for specific sections of the scheme amendment
- Be addressed to the Minister for Economic Development Queensland
- Be lodged with the Sunshine Coast Council.
Making a properly made submission will ensure your comments in relation to the proposed PDA Development Scheme Amendment can be considered by the Minister of Economic Development Queensland.
Submissions close 4:30pm, Monday 23 October 2023
For further information, please contact Council’s Customer Contact Centre
Proposed Development Scheme Amendment Process
Timeline item 1 - complete
Preparation of proposed development scheme amendment
March 2022–May 2023
Timeline item 2 - complete
MEDQ and State Interest Review
June 2023–September 2023
Timeline item 3 - active
Public notification period
11 September - 23 October 2023
Timeline item 4 - incomplete
Review of submissions and Council consideration
Late 2023 - Early 2024
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
Adoption by MEDQ*
Date to be determined by the State Government
Proposed Amendment - No.3 - For Public NotificationPDF (6.78 MB)
Current Development SchemePDF (7.36 MB)
Maroochydore PDA 2023 - Public NoticePDF (1.03 MB)
Maroochydore PDA 2023 FAQsPDF (501.11 KB)
Maoochydore PDA 2023 - No.3 NewsletterPDF (1.05 MB)
Maroochydore PDA Information Sheets
Information Sheet - OverviewPDF (490.29 KB)
Information Sheet - Open Space (Waterways and Parkland)PDF (593.75 KB)
Information Sheet - Making a SubmissionPDF (338.20 KB)
Information Sheet - Flooding and StormwaterPDF (515.02 KB)
Information Sheet - Car ParkingPDF (542.56 KB)
Information Sheet - Building HeightsPDF (539.31 KB)
Development Agreement Fact SheetPDF (331.71 KB)